Monday, June 14, 2010

The Love Guru - Thoughts

Released in 2008 I recall some hilarious trailers and wonder why I waited as long to see it. Based on the guru / learned Indian holy man stereotype, Love Guru entails the pursuits of Guru Pitka to solve the relationship issues of the star player of a hockey team and in turn help the professional and commercial needs of his solicitors. But what comes as a surprise to the guru himself are the life’s lessons he learns and the possible self conflicts to do with love.


I just got done watching the Love Guru; pretty fun movie. Except for one rather gross scene (the stink mop challenge), most of it was quite light and funny. It’s what you could typically expect from a Mike Myers movie. It’s probably the first I’m seeing since the Austin Powers series, so I’d say it’s quite in the same parallel. Surely worth the watch, especially with all the Indian parodies.

The movie was pretty much about Guru Pitka (played by Mike Myers), and all the other characters got very little screen time. Justin Timberlake played the antagonist, and did a decently fun job. I’ve only seen him in one movie before, Black Snake Moan, and I personally feel he fits the comedy bill better. Jessica Alba’s role was limited, and she did her usual romantic comedy stereotype routine. Meagan Good as Prudence the hot Afro-American women... was, well, hot!

Technically the quality was excellent. The colors were vivid and lively on the Plasma, and the aspect ratio was quite convenient. Though it didn’t exactly fit the screen, not too much was lost in terms of widescreen letterboxing. What stood out was the soundtrack; I was listening to the English Dolby Digital 5.1 surround and it came alive. The center channel was crisp, clear and set the mood, while effect and ambient sound was well captured on the surround channels. Thanks to the sound the various environments in the different scenes had a lot of pep. FYI – I was watching the Region 1 US release version of the DVD.

My Recommendation: Watch It (if you love Mike Myers, this is a given)


(This was the very first movie I shared my thoughts on. This version on the blog has been partially edited subsequently.)

No comments:

Post a Comment