Monday, July 4, 2016

Earthfall - Snapshot


I came across Earthfall as part of my movie research on IMDB. From the plot it looked like a TV movie, based on elements from disaster movies such as 2012, and Armageddon. Notwithstanding its low rating, I decided to get my hands on it and check out it. As someone who loves sci-fi movies, I was hopeful; budget constraints may hamper a star cast and expensive special effects, but could still yield a refreshing sci-fi flick.


Boy was I let down! Earthfall ended up being a very draggy, low budget TV movie, with poor special effects, and even the scientific rationale provided in dialog, made no sense. The narrative was disconnected, and though under 1 and a half hours long, it felt slow, long, and I found myself nodding off on multiple occasions. In terms of the characterization, there are obvious stereotypes; some immature teenage kids, some bad elements, a funny side kick to the lead, a family with little time for each other, owing to busy demanding work life's. As with bigger disaster movies, there is a government defense initiative, but how the planned solution was to work, was not clear. Overall, Earthfall was very un-engaging. The copy I sampled was a 3 gig HD rip, from a Digital Web source. Video was good, with picture being clear with good definition. The sound-mix was a Dolby Digital AC3 6 channel track, though there was no memorable use of surround or positional sound.

My Recommendation: Skip It (A disastrous, poorly thought through low budget disaster movie)

No comments:

Post a Comment